Monday, May 12, 2008

WHY I LIKE HEELS







No. This isn't some foot fetish thing. This is about pro wrestling and life. Anyone that knows me knows how much I love watching pro wrestling. When I was a kid, I used to cheer for the good guys (babyfaces) and boo the bad guys (heels). As I went through my teen years, I started to have an appreciation for the "heel". In reality, the heel is who the people came to see because they always wanted to see the "face" get revenge for some awful deed that the "heel" committed. The "heel" cheated and bragged that it wasn't cheating, but an "opportunity". The "heel" had swagger and I felt that I had more in common with him. I knew that it was scripted, so I thought about it in a very different way. I knew that most of the "heels" were actually very nice guys who played a role. The "heel" kept things interesting. If they did their job well, they could make people want to jump over the barriers to smack them. People who fall for the "heel's" button pushing are called "marks". Marks are the stereotypical fans who really think that these guys hate each other and don't get that it's scripted. The Heel is what I become when I interact with some people online (completely tongue-in-cheek) and the marks want to jump over the barrier because they've missed the point. The heel is there for a reason, his methods maybe controversial but he usually wins and at some point in his career becomes a "face". Faces have heel turns too...just like real people. We all have that going on inside of us. There is a reason that we love Darth Vader (he's much more complex that just being a "bad guy"). Heels are simply much deeper than "babyfaces". I like playing the heel in some forums online but I'm a total "face" onstage. It's the duality of human nature! Stop being a mark! Take it for what it is....intellectual smackdowns for edutainment purposes. And if you don't get it, you never will.

No comments: